Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Lady Chargers fall to I-35

Chariton Herald-Patriot,  December 5, 2013
Bill Howes, Associate Editor

Lady Chargers fall to I-35 in Season Opener

Showers has double-double


The Chariton varsity girls came up a little short in their season opener at Interstate 35 on December 3rd.  The Lady Chargers led by one with a minute left but couldn't quite hold on in a 39-34 loss.  Senior Allyson Showers had a double-double for Chariton with a team high 15 points and 11 rebounds along with five steals.  Sophomore Alexis Curran had 12 points, five steals and three assists.  It was Chariton's first game but the fourth game for the Roadrunners.
The Lady Chargers held I-35's 6'1" freshman post player, Gracey Griglione, to just 13 points.  She had been averaging 21 points per game.
Coach Sandy also pointed out the disparity in fouls and free throw shooting.  Interstate 35 was called for 15 fouls and Chariton was called for 25.  The Roadrunners shot 31 free throws while Chariton shot 13.  Chariton went 8-13 from the line while I-35 went 14-31.
It was a tight game throughout as Chariton led 7-6 after one period and trailed 16-13 at halftime.  Chariton outscored I-35 by one in the third period to cut the lead to one point heading into the final period.  With Chariton up by one with a minute left, the Lady Chargers missed a lay up and a couple of free throws in the final minute.  While Chariton was up by one, I-35 hit a three-pointer, which forced Chariton to foul.  
For the game, Chariton shot 12-44 from the field and I-35 shot 11-42.  Chariton outrebounded I-35 28-20 and they had 21 turnovers while I-35 had 15.  Chariton had 13 steals and seven assists while I-35 had five steals and three assists.  I-35 had four blocks and Chariton had none.
Emily Grismore had four points and Sarah Fuhs had three.  Emma Fuhs had 10 rebounds.

No comments: