Thursday, December 20, 2012

Boys Basketball Catching Fire at 7-1

This article is from the Charger Ink dated December 20, 2012, by Editor in Chief - Karoline Dittmer

The Chariton varsity boys basketball team has been working to win this year and have a shot at State.  So far in the season, the varsity team has had seven wins and one loss.  Davis County has been their only loss.  "I think this group works well together.  They understand how to play good team basketball.  I also think a lot of that working together comes from how the coach runs them in practice.  The team expects to win together, loose together, and work together," said Assistant Coach Jay Pierschbacher.  "I think we're doing pretty well but we have a lot more room for improvement," said freshman Daric Laing.  Junior Willie Felderman said, "I think as a team, our most important asset is working hard and getting better every day."  Alex Wright, a senior said, "We've started to play more as a team than in the years past.  We've started sharing the ball.  It feels good to be winning, but we can't stop doing our best and keeping the dream alive."
The varsity boys have two players who are amongst the top in the South Central Conference.  T.J. Hockenson, a freshman, is currently in third for the most rebounds and points.  "I feel like I've been doing my job but without my team I couldn't do it.  It's a big accomplishment, but it isn't just about me.  It's mainly about the team," said Hockenson.  Senior Bryce Cunningham is number one in assists.  "Being a leader is all about the team chemistry and having good teammates who know what to do.  I'm really going to miss our awesome student section, coaches, and beating Albia," said Cunningham.  "Bryce is our hero!" yelled Laing, Felderman and Hockenson.

No comments: